Horizon Discovery, part of PerkinElmer, is a leading life science company that delivers science-driven research solutions advancing the understanding of the genetic basis of disease and the delivery of better healthcare outcomes for patients. We act as a discovery partner for leading pharma and biotech companies worldwide, providing research services and tools to support the development of personalized medicines.
As a result of ongoing growth within the Screening Business Unit, we have an exciting opportunity for several Associate Scientists to join our Screening Department within our Core Screening Team.
As an Associate Scientist in the Core Screening Team, you will be responsible for executing cell biology based workflows in order to generate data for high-throughput arrayed compound screening programmes.
This is a lab-based role. Candidates will be expected to work on multiple tasks or projects simultaneously and should be organised, highly self-motivated, able to work to tight timelines and be comfortable working under pressure in an environment with shifting priorities.
Note that, where needed, this position will require flexible working to cover evening and 7-day operations.
Contribute to the execution of compound screens using cellular techniques and a quality mindset:
- Maintain multiple human and mammalian cell lines in culture
- Maintain accurate records of experimental procedures, complete lab books and record sheets, and communicate with team leaders
- Work with automated liquid handling robots to maintain high throughput of samples
- Work to high standards and encourage a quality mindset in yourself and colleagues
- Be an effective team member in supporting cell-based screening functions in Horizon
Essential Competencies & Requirements
- Degree in a Biological Discipline (or equivalent experience)
- Familiarity with cell culture and knowledge of good aseptic technique
- A careful and meticulous nature with attention to detail
- Ability to work in a highly dynamic environment and on several different projects or tasks concurrently
- Ability to work to tight timelines and be able to manage a complex and busy workload
- Flexible, adaptable, independent, resilient and able to work in a matrix-managed environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
Desirable Competencies & Requirements
- Practical experience of cell culture with multiple cell lines and excellent aseptic technique
- Knowledge of lab information management systems (LIMS)
- Experience with liquid handling robotic equipment (although full training will be provided)
- Experience with common cell biology techniques such as growth assays
Horizon Delivers inspired solutions that harness the power of the cell. We are global leaders in cell engineering. Our vision is to unlock the power of the cell, and we are increasing our focus on customers everyday. Our unique tools and services are used by our customers to provide valuable insights and applications in - research, drug discovery, molecular diagnostics and biomanufacturing.
If you need an accommodation or assistance to apply for this position, please email HR@horizondiscovery.com or call (US) +1 720 890 5133 (UK) +44 01223 976 000.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.