About the role:
This is a hybrid role – a combination of office (we are based in Cambridge city centre) and remote working.
We are looking for a wearables App Developer to work primarily on applications within BIOS's Remote Health Platform.
The RHP consists of three interconnected products:
- Smartwatch app for collecting health data
- Smartphone app for collecting patient survey data
- Web-based reporting portals for clinicians and researchers.
For researchers, the platform can lower the cost of clinical trials and accelerate the pace of discovery by providing an alternative to in-clinic assessments. For clinicians, it can provide valuable insights into a patient's condition between medical appointments. The BIOS Remote Health Platform is a certified medical device.
In future versions of the RHP, the data collected from wearable devices will be enhanced with BIOS’s unique neural technology, which can understand and sequence neural code. This will improve understanding of how patients’ nervous systems respond to treatments. The successful applicant will play a key role in the strategy for our clinician and patient facing software.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Work within our multidisciplinary team, developing, implementing, testing and maintaining a certified medical device system.
- Implement production level code for smartphone & smartwatch apps as part of complex medical systems.
- Collaborate with the engineering team to design & implement app UI.
- Collaborate with the cloud team to design & implement patient wearable device onboarding, user interface, data collection & upload to the cloud.
- Test, debug, optimise and maintain apps.
- Support app deployments within production medical device systems.
Essential skills and qualifications:
- Strong programming experience in Swift & SwiftUI.
- Professional experience with Apple’s platform development tools & frameworks.
- Working knowledge of Android platform development tools & frameworks.
- Desire to learn new programming languages & frameworks.
- Demonstrable ability in researching, designing and writing new software programs.
- Demonstrable ability to design & implement intuitive app user interfaces.
- Have a logical, analytical and creative approach to problems and determining their solution.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical subject, or equivalent qualification or technical experience.
- English Language skill - appropriate UK qualification or SELT pass at B1 CEFR scale or confirmed Ecctis for degrees taught in English.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Professional experience with Android platform development tools & frameworks.
- Web frontend development experience.
- Experience with software development in a regulated industry (such as medical, automotive, nuclear or defense).
- Experience with software development for embedded devices.
- Working knowledge of source control management such as Git.
- Experience with issue management systems such as GitLab or JIRA.
- Experience of working with Agile software development methodologies.
- Familiarity with Linux & AWS.
BIOS is an exciting and progressive business which values its people at the heart of everything we do. We understand that people who are happy and healthy at work and at home produce better results. Therefore we have a compensation and benefits package that promotes health, finance, life:work balance and professional development.
Competitive Salary, dependent on experience, and company share options.
Other benefits include:
- Hybrid working (office and remote) and flexible hours (outside of core hours)
- Healthcare and Dental insurance
- Enhanced Pension scheme
- A variety of well-being initiatives (incl. gym membership contribution, cycle maintenance scheme)
- Financial support for commuters through our season ticket loan scheme
- Great central Cambridge location with excellent transport links (incl. rail, bus, bike, scooters) and local amenities
BIOS is committed to equal employment opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants who will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, gender or sexual orientation.