A vacancy has arisen for a Public Affairs Manager to join our dynamic and well-respected team.
Public Affairs Manager
Alzheimer’s Research UK is the UK’s leading dementia research charity dedicated to diagnosis, prevention, treatment and cure. Backed by our passionate scientists and supporters, we’re challenging the way people think about dementia, bringing together the people and organisations who can speed up progress, and investing in research to make life-changing breakthroughs possible.
A vacancy has arisen for a Public Affairs Manager to join our dynamic and well-respected team. We work to support and influence the policy environment to ensure that scientists can undertake research to better understand the diseases that cause dementia and to discover life changing treatments. We are also working to prepare health systems to be ready for future dementia treatments.
Policy and Public Affairs is a creative and ambitious team, and the post holder will have opportunities to take initiative and work on projects that take the charity in new directions in order to maximise our external impact. The postholder will report to, and work closely with, the Head of Policy (Access and Innovation) as well as the wider Policy and Public Affairs teams. The role may include work in London and elsewhere in the UK.
You will be part of an organisation that has been recognised nationally as an outstanding place to work. In 2021, we were listed 69th in the prestigious 100 Large Best Companies to Work For. We were also awarded a 2-star accreditation by Best Companies, recognising outstanding levels of workplace engagement and were listed in the 75 Best Companies to Work for in the East of England and the Charity’s 30 Best Companies to Work For.
Main tasks of role:
- Implement and further develop ARUK’s external affairs strategy, working with policy colleagues to ensure an aligned public affairs function that delivers on our influencing goals.
- Supervise a programme of parliamentary engagement for the organisation.
- Ensure ARUK has a meaningful role in shaping future legislation on dementia, healthcare and scientific research.
- Lead responses and briefings on key legislation and guidance, including proposed drafting amendments where appropriate.
- Grow digital campaigns and public affairs opportunities, building our reach and engagement with key audiences, working closely with the ARUK communications team to ensure we are using a range of channels.
- Manage and grow a supporter-based campaigning network, online and offline, to advocate on behalf of ARUK, including the involvement of people affected by dementia and a clear strategy for how this will be utilised in our public affairs work.
- Work with team to develop and implement PA products, processes and ways of working to maximise impact and efficiency.
- Play a key role in developing ARUK's influencing stakeholder contact programme and identifying opportunities and strategies to improve engagement.
- Build effective personal relationships with other organisations, parliamentarians and their offices across both Houses and relevant Government departments.
- Oversee the work of, contribute to the development and line manage the Senior Public Affairs Officer.
We are looking for:
- A passionate, proactive and curious public affairs professional.
- Outgoing, enthusiastic and able to remain calm under pressure.
- Strategic thinker with a focus on impact.
- Expert understanding of government, parliament and the wider political environment
- The ability to build constructive relationships with stakeholders across multiple organisations, especially within a biomedical research or healthcare setting.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal with an ability to modify communication style for different audiences to maximise impact.
- Experience of line management.
- An adaptable approach that enables us to make the most of opportunities.
Location: Granta Park, near Cambridge.
Salary: Circa £42,000 per annum, plus benefits
The closing date for applications is 24 October 2021. We would encourage applicants to submit their application at the earliest opportunity as interviews and the closing date may be brought forward at any time. Should we wish to contact you to arrange an earlier interview this will be arranged based on the availability of the candidate and the panel. Please indicate in your cover letter if you are unable to attend on a certain date.