We are looking for a talented data scientist, with a passion for applying their craft to sythetic biology, to join our group of data scientists and machine learning engineers in the Industrial, Consumer and Energy division. The group does machine learning, computer vision, robotics, Bayesian inference, signal processing, sensing, modelling and more – whatever it takes for whatever we’re making. We have the privilege to work with a wide range of ambitious clients who want to develop new technology. As a result we work across a huge range of projects, from laboratory and industrial automation to hyperspectral imaging of skin.
We are looking for a candidate who is motivated by the idea of applying their data analysis and modelling skills to real-world engineering, especially the synthetic biology domain.
What you will be doing!
You will be responsible for implementing and evaluating algorithms as part of our many technology development projects. Often you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team. You'll have to get your head round the data you're working with which can range from imagery to radar to amino acid sequences and use that understanding to help design the right algorithms that will help achieve the project's goals.
Practical software experience, especially in Python, MATLAB or R, could help you get off to a flying start here, as could a Masters degree or PhD in a relevant subject, but these are not essential. Our collaborative and supportive working environment allows our engineers to quickly develop their skills and knowledge in unfamiliar areas.
This role provides a valuable opportunity to work alongside and learn from more experienced colleagues in both your own and related fields. As you grow in experience you will get the opportunity to take on increasingly challenging tasks and will start to take on more responsibility for interactions with our clients, working with others to identify and define the technical solutions that will solve their problems.
While we take the quality of our work very seriously, you will find that we have a friendly and informal work environment. While work can be hectic when deadlines loom, we care about having a healthy work-life balance.
What you can bring!
A successful candidate will have the ability to:
- Communicate with peers and clients to understand their problems and present thinking
- Use mathematics and data science first principles to solve complex problems
- Create and propose elegant algorithm and analytics solutions
- Obtain and analyse simulated/empirical test data to gain insights into system and component level performance
Skills and experiences that are desirable, but not essential:
- Bioinformatics, especially Omics
- Knowledge of metabolic engineering
- Microbiology or molecular biology domain knowledge
- Design of experiment for collection of microbiological data (e.g. products, metabolites, genetic sequence)
- Development of predictive models using microbiological data and domain knowledge
- Development of control algorithms for microbial culture e.g. bioreactor control