An Aurora maritime patrol aircraft of No. 405 Squadron of the Canadian Air Force will be spending the weekend at Cambridge Airport. The aircraft, which is normally based in Manitoba, is visiting the United Kingdom so that it can take part in the Little Gransden Children in Need Day on Sunday 28 August 2011.
Cambridge Airport to host Canadian Air Force Aurora maritime patrol aircraft
No. 405 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force celebrated its 70th Anniversary this year, having been formed in 1941 as a Lancaster Squadron operating at what was then RAF Gransden Lodge. The Squadron became the only Commonwealth Nation to be part of the elite Pathfinder Force.
Little Gransden Air Show organiser Dave Poile MBE said: ‘We are very pleased that this aeroplane is flying all the way from Canada to take part in our Children in Need Day on Sunday 28 August. As well as flying in our Air Display, the aeroplane will be undertaking a number of local flights and renewing its links with the site of its foundation.’
Archie Garden, the Airport Director, will be meeting the aircraft and its crew on their arrival at Cambridge on Saturday (27 August) and will be presenting the crew with a cheque for £500 towards Children in Need's funds as a thank you to them for choosing to use Cambridge Airport.
Archie Garden said: ‘We are delighted to welcome this aeroplane from Canada to Cambridge Airport. Cambridge Airport regularly welcomes a large number of aircraft from North America, although these are normally executive jet aircraft rather than military aircraft.’
Sir Michael Marshall was evacuated to Canada during the early days of the Second World War and later returned there to learn to fly as a National Service Pilot. He was based at Royal Canadian Air Force base Gimli, where he gained his Royal Air Force Pilot Wings.
Marshall Aerospace currently manages the maintenance of the fleet of C-130 Hercules aircraft for the Royal Canadian Air Force in Canada.
Founded in 1909 with little capital as a chauffeur drive company in Cambridge, Marshall moved into the retail motor business in 1910, obtained the Austin Distributorship for Cambridgeshire in 1920 and entered the aviation business in 1929. With all its growth funded by ploughed-back profits, the Marshall Group remains a privately owned family Company, with a turnover of over £1bn per annum. The Group of Companies is chaired by the third generation of the Marshall family, and employs members of the fourth generation. The Group currently employs just over 4,000 people working in the fields of aerospace engineering; design and manufacture of specialist vehicle applications, military mobility shelters and hospital surgical units; motor vehicle sales and after sales support; refrigerated transport sales and support; and property ownership and management.
For further information contact:
Group Support Executive, The Marshall Group of Companies
The Airport, Newmarket Road
Cambridge, CB5 8RX
Tel: 01223 373227/07785 316763
DAVID POILE, MBE
Founded in 1909, the Marshall Group has a turnover of £2.5bn and over 5,700 employees. Headquartered on a 900-acre site in Cambridge, Marshall has three principal arms to the business: Aerospace and Defence; Property; and Ventures.