Granta Design's latest suite includes new ‘BoM Analyzer’—first of a new generation of GRANTA MI tools.
New product intelligence software gives fast response to eco, regulatory & supply chain risks
Granta Design today announced the release of the GRANTA MI:Product Intelligence Package, a new suite of software and data that helps engineering enterprises to optimize products while minimizing environmental, regulatory, and supply chain risks. For the first time, MI:Product Intelligence provides fast, easy-to-use tools that draw on comprehensive, authoritative materials and environmental data in order to provide interactive, integrated feedback on this full range of risks within the CAD environment or, alternatively, via a new web browser application. This risk assessment focuses design efforts and supports compliance reporting, while avoiding the need for time-consuming data research—for example, in gathering information from suppliers.
Close-up of integrated dashboard reporting on environmental impacts, restricted substance risk, supply risk, and cost
The MI:Product Intelligence Package runs on the GRANTA MI platform, the industry-leading system for materials information management. MaterialUniverse, one of many data modules available within GRANTA MI, provides property profiles for the full range of engineering materials and associated processes; thousands of records cover metals, plastics, composites, and more. This is augmented with regularly-updated data on restricted substances and the regulations that impact them (such as REACH) and on materials supply risks (e.g., due to obsolescence, price volatility, or use of conflict minerals). MI:Product Intelligence tools enable users to search and browse this unique data resource, apply it to parts within the CAD model or ‘Bill of Materials’ (‘BoM’) that represents their product, and then run reporting calculations that apply the data to predict environmental impacts and flag potential regulatory or supply problems.
Innovations that have enabled this release include:
- A new integrated ‘dashboard’ providing a single view of product performance against risk factors including: restricted substance content, lifecycle energy usage and CO2 footprint, and supply chain risks.
- MI:Materials Gateway 2.0, the second-generation integration technology enabling materials applications to be embedded within CAD systems (Autodesk Inventor, CATIA, NX, Creo, and Pro/ENGINEER). CAD users will apply the new product intelligence tools to help optimize designs.
- MI:BoM Analyzer, a new easy-to-use web browser application that enables users to import and edit existing Bills of Materials, build new BoMs from scratch, assign materials and processes within those BoMs, and run reporting calculations. Design teams will use this application to test design concepts pre-CAD. Product stewardship teams will use it for fast analysis of in-production or ‘legacy’ BoMs, enabling them to identify and report on risks in their product portfolio.
In addition to providing product intelligence, MI:BoM Analyzer is the first software tool developed using a new ‘web client framework’ capability in the GRANTA MI platform. This allows the rapid development of high quality, task-focused, yet ‘lightweight’ (i.e., fast and easy to install) applications that take advantage of both the full GRANTA MI infrastructure and the latest best practice in user interface design. Granta can apply this technology to quickly add new capabilities to the GRANTA MI toolset in response to specific customer needs.
“MI:Product Intelligence is a step forward for Granta on two fronts”, said Dr Patrick Coulter, Chief Operating Officer of Granta Design. “It helps our customers to apply the material intelligence developed through GRANTA MI to deliver better, greener, safer products. And, through our new BoM Analyzer, it has demonstrated an enhanced capability to rapidly develop a new generation of GRANTA MI tools.”
About Granta Design Ltd
Granta are the materials information technology experts. The company develops market leading software for managing materials and process information in engineering enterprises, and a series of tools for applying that data to key materials and product design decisions. Granta serves sectors as diverse as aerospace, defense, energy, medical devices, automotive, motorsports, manufacture of consumer and industrial equipment, materials production, and publishing. Customers realize multi-million dollar benefits in reduced cost, enhanced product performance, improved quality, and faster design turnaround.
Granta was founded in 1994 as a spinout from the University of Cambridge and the work of Professors Mike Ashby and David Cebon. For further information go on line to www.grantadesign.com
Follow @GrantaDesign on Twitter.
Media Information & Resources
Media are welcome to contact Granta if they wish to organize a demonstration or review of Granta software.
For media information, issued press releases and supporting images: www.grantadesign.com/news/media.htm
- GRANTA MI:Product Intelligence Package: www.grantadesign.com/products/mi/pi.htm
- GRANTA MI:Materials Gateway: www.grantadesign.com/products/mi/gateway.htm
- GRANTA MI: www.grantadesign.com/products/MI
- GRANTA MI:BoM Analyzer: www.grantadesign.com/products/mi/bom.htm
Granta helps engineering enterprises to manage and apply vital information about engineering materials. We enable smart decisions on the use of these materials in product development.