Make and receive calls using Skype for Business
Skype for Business automatically detects your devices, such as a headset, mic, speakers and cameras. Before you make a call make sure that you have an audio device connected to your computer. We strongly recommend that you check your audio and video devices before joining a meeting or making a call, to make sure you’re all set.
To call a contact using Skype for Business, select the contact and select the phone button. Then choose one of the following options for the call:
Work: to call the contact at a work number (not available for Office 365 users)
New Number…: to enter a different number to call that personSkype for Business
Skype call: to call the contact in Skype for Business
Voice mail: to call the contact’s voice mail (not available for Office 365 users)
After the call connects, use the mic button at the bottom of the window to mute/unmute yourself , and the handset button to end the call .
Use the other call controls as appropriate:
Select the Call Controls button for the following options:
- Transfer to another number or person.
- Devices to switch to a different device.
- Dial pad to interact with an automated phone system, such as entering a code, when you call your voicemail, or make a selection when you call an office reception desk.
- Speaker volume to adjust the sound. Slide the pointer up and down for volume, or select the speaker icon at the top of the volume control to mute your speaker.
Select the Video button to add video to a Skype for Business call.
Select the IM button to add instant messaging to a Skype for Business call.
Select the Participants button to invite other contacts to join the call.
Use the Dial pad
If your Skype for Business account is enabled for Enterprise Voice (not available for Office 365 users), you can use the dial pad to call a phone number from Skype for Business.
- From the main Skype for Business screen, click the Dial Pad tab.
The Dial Pad appears just below.
- Enter a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Select the number buttons on the Dial pad.
- Type the number on your keyboard.
- Paste the number if it is already copied to the clipboard.
- Select Call.
After the call connects, use the mic button at the bottom of the window to mute/unmute yourself, and the handset button to end the call.
Receive a call
When a contact calls you, a notification displays on your screen. To answer the call, select the notification.
If you don’t want to accept the call, select Decline to dismiss the call and send it to voice mail, if available.
Answer audio and video calls on a locked device
You can answer audio and video calls quickly, without having to unlock your device and login. When someone calls you, a call alert pops up on the locked screen. Click the appropriate button to answer with video or audio.
If you need to login to your device in the middle of the conversation, select the Unlock button on the lower left side of the call window.