Transition to Management
The first line manager role is unique in organisations as this person is the one level who manages non-managers. This brings its own set of hurdles to overcome, and for people new to managing others there is a lot to learn.
This course is aimed at those new to management; those with about 6 months experience as a manager; or those you are looking to promote in the next few months.
- Adjust your mindset from individual contributor to manager
- Manage workloads and deadlines
- Deal with the changes in workplace relationships
- Deal with the early stages of people issues and conflict
- Develop your team through good communication and teamwork
- Identify opportunities for delegation
- Deliver 1-2-1 reviews and provide developmental feedback
- Identify a ‘tool-kit’ of techniques and skills issues
Overall, being a new manager can be tough, and a toolkit of best practice do’s and don’ts will really help new managers avoid mistakes and feel more equipped to cope in the early days
Who should attend
- Team leaders, supervisors and project managers with up to one years’ experience in their new role
- High potentials who look to be promoted in the next 6 months
- Technical and project leads who would like to ‘up skill’ on their management techniques
"I really enjoyed the course. It was useful to discuss things which are beyond common sense and I think this will help me to understand better the group dynamics within my team and other teams. Great job!"
"The course really helped build confidence in taking the next step and has provided some really useful tools. I am very impressed and grateful to you all!"
"The course helped me to realise my weaknesses and how to overcome them. Very good tips. Excellent communicator and listener."
The early days
- Attributes of a good manager
- Behavioural shifts
- Challenges and expectations
- Time management and routines
The high performing team
- Stages of formation
- Effective teams
- 1-2-1 meetings and team meetings
The people dimension
- Getting things done
- Behavioural flexibility
- Motivating your team
- SMART objectives
- Building trust
- Giving Feedback – SAID and EBI
- Remote working
This was a really good course, both Des and Debby are very good at online training - they made me feel comfortable, part of a class, they delivered at a good pace (both gentle and productive). I really enjoyed this, as well as learning lots of very useful things that I have already been putting into practice. Thank you!
Very interesting course and I am very pleased with the trainer. The course was very engaging and there was a good balance of theory and brainstorming ideas. I liked the case studies and the time dedicated to discussing "real life" issues and scenarios. Overall I am very pleased with the course and I would recommend it.
This course was really insightful - I particularly appreciated all the effort that Debby put into creating a safe and friendly environment for everyone. The course was also a balanced mix of theory with practice, with plenty of opportunities to discuss and train real live situations. The size of the class was also really perfect - anything bigger would seem more intimidating. Thank you for a great programme and coach!
The following cohorts are available for joining:
All sessions 10am - 12.30pm
|May||6, 12, 18, 25|
|June||1, 8, 13, 16|
|August||2, 4, 9, 11|
|October||6, 13, 19, 24|
|December||6, 8, 12, 15|
Face to face
|July||11 & 12|
|September||14 & 15|
|November||1 & 2|
|Duration: 4 x 2.5 hour sessions||Member Cost: £540.00+VAT pp|
Non-Member Cost: £810.00+VAT pp
Face to Face
|Duration: 2 days||Member Cost: £540.00+VAT pp|
Non-Member Cost: £810.00+VAT pp
*Membership from £50+VAT per annum - join now and save on training